Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Art of Summarizing

The novelty of blogging is wearing off. As a blogging addict, I have been displaying the symptoms of excessive bloggage. I did not heed the warning that has proven ever so true in my life. "Please consult your physician to see if blogging is for you before starting a rigourous blogging regement as common side effects may include but are not limited to: implusive typing finger syndrome, over excessive blogging entries, frequent blog check-ups, premeditated blog writing, and hyperactive observation skills. Blogging may not be for you if you have a social life, and dont plan on committing six hours a day to the anxious typing, updating and checking your blog, nor will it help those who suffer from insomnia, depression, or general social ineptness."

Now I am in blog withdraw. Not having the time to sit down everyday and update everybody on every little detail on my life in Panama, I am forced to pull myself from the blogging addiction cold turkey. In the blogging world, this can only mean one thing...summarizing.

So pardon me when these events that I am telling you about are more than a week old. We will take this 12 step summarizing program one step at a time, one day at a time.

Here we go. Hello my name is Chris and I am a blogaholic.

With that out of the way, heres a summary of my last couple of weeks.

One thing that was cool was our little road trip to Santa Clara. Man I love Panama. With the Atlantic Ocean right by the city, and the Carribeen only about 80 miles away, a weekend trip to the beach is well worth it. We went to Santa Clara, found a nice spot on the beach, necogiated with the local restaurante to get a cabana on the beach for free, popped out our blankets, and slept on the beach, under the stars. You have not lived until you have swam in the ocean at midnight, and then gotten out, fallen asleep to the sound of the waves, and woken by the sunrise warming you in the morning. And despite only eating cold hot dogs with trasure island dressing, the weekend was a great success. My ego was also stroked when I took a public bus back to Loma Cova all by myself in order to teach my class there. I am getting a hang of this living in a different country and the public transportation thing.

Sunrise at Santa Clara.


We also went to celebrate some of the national holidays Panamanian style. We went to Via Espana to watch the local bachillerato (high school) parade. Let me tell you, they know how to march. And I guess the latest in marching fashion is the all time favorite go go boot. I dont know how these girls marched for three miles with those high heels and those boots, but they didnt seem to mind. It seemed that they rather enjoyed swinging their hips and tossing batons, and it was at least an excuse to try to make their school uniforms look as seductive as possible. (you know, that whole blue button down long sleeve shirt can really turn some people on!) I just wanted to go out in the middle of the street with all the ghetto girls and shout, "You shake that thang, honey, it aint nuddin' butta chic'n wang."


Ah nah chu did'n, gurlfriend, being all upst in my grill, wit chu'r go go boots and chu baton. Uh uh, back it up honey.

The typical traditional dress, called pollera. They are also dancing the typical dance called typico.



And there also was a high school who looked liked they got their uniforms from the African Safari store. Last time I checked, the streets of Panama werent exactly the Serengeti, but hey, what ever floats your boat. All we needed was some sun glasses and Panamanian hats, and it would have been any retailer's biggest nightmare--A Panama Jack Parade.



And now we get a glimpse of this rare creature in its natural habitat. Join us for Panamanian Safari.

The parade commemorating Flag Day. Yes, there was a parade for Flag Day.


Today was my first AMILPA Party, as it was Senora Ruthie's birthday. We had sandwiches and cake, which I have been craving expectantly since Wednesday. The cake was a wonderful way to polish off a hearty meal of tuna sandwiches. Yes, I said tuna, mom. I actually like it. In fact, my life seems like one big monotonous menu right now, tuna sandwich, chocolate cake. Repeat. Yes, I even had tuna for dinner tonight. Twice in one day. I alone am bringing Star Kist out of a third quarter slump.

I have been busy with classes and with things to do. Going into the office and working to get things organized, trying to get in touch with students to encourage them to come, and building relationships with people around the office are all becoming parts of my job that become more and more important and larger as well. It seems that the "permanent vacation" is on hold for a while, or at least becoming more like a "only-vacation-two-days-a-week" lifestyle. Rough, I know.

And during the last national holiday, which was Thursday, I converted into quite the domestic all around gold champion. I sewed pillowcovers for my bed, and pulled out the hammer and hung my own blinds. My room is starting to feel more like a room and not just some dingy hotel...

And here are somethings to praise God for: An advertisement for my class came out in the NATIONAL newspaper last week on Thursday. The phones have been ringing off the hook, and I am expecting many new students to come to my classes here in Balboa. Praise God! Sally, the coolest person ever, gave the article to just the right person, and there it was in the newspaper!

Also, George Bush was here, and none of us were harmed. There were quite a few protests, and one of the major streets downtown was closed. They have also closed the university indefinatly, as it is one of the biggest areas with anti-American sentiment, and many of the protests were held there. Now, dont take this out of hand, and think that I am in serious danger. We were safe here in our little part of town, and took some precuations the day that Bush was here to make sure we would be safe. And most Panamanians are peace lovers, and didnt even want to be near the protests. I ask that you thank God for our safety during those days.

There are so many stories, so many things I want to tell, to share. However, I am pulling myself away from that, and trying to cut down on my bloggage since I can no longer sit for hours on end thinking of things to write. People to see and many things to do!

until later, buscando guayaba ando yo (you can invent whatever meaning you want!)

1 comment:

Mandi Lindner said...

Do you go to a group therapy session or do you have a private therapist? If so, can I have his or her number?

If you want to see the results of my blogaholic OD, check out my webpage. I took 2 weeks off (Fall Break and the school chaos taht ensued) and therefore had to, dare I say it? Summarize. (shudder)