Thursday, September 29, 2005

Of Masks, Mountains, Mid-day Meals and Monstrous Mops

So less than 24 hours until my departure, and I am saying goodbye to all the little things that I wont have the chance to be around for the next year. There are so many things that I never really thought I would be "leaving behind" but I note everyday with "that will be the last time in a year I do (see, hear, etc. ) that!" I wanted to show you a few things that I have realized, whether with pain or slight excitment that I would be leaving here in the states. It might be hard to understand the sentiments I am feeling, as even I didnt expect or anticipate them, and I am the one leaving!

First, my littlest sister had a project to do. At dinner, we all brainstormed ways that she could effectivly finish the project (yes, she did procrastinate until the last moment, I have taught her well!) We all had our ideas of her mask making and I realized that it will be the last time for a while I help out with family projects, school work and all that.

My mom and dad and little sister, Courtney, working on an Incan Mask

I also was driving today, and the silloutte of Pikes Peak came into view. As my last few blogs show, I am very fortunate to live in Colorado and love the mountains and the natural witness they are of God being the greatest artist. I will miss having the mountians out my window, and will miss the cool mountain breezes that have been glazing the plains with morning frost and a fresh crisp, cool smell.

Aspen leaves floating in Alberta River, Rocky Mountain National Park

I also will miss meeting family and friends for lunch. I have been very fortunate the last month to be able to meet friends for a variety of foods, on their lunch breaks, giving me time to catch up and hang out with the people God has blessed me with. There has also been plenty of chances to eat at home with my sister during the day and that has been great.

And for any of those who know me, I am going to miss being a complete goofball. My sister undid her braids one night, and we got a kick messing around with her "monstrous mop" for a few minutes. I am a goofball at heart and will miss all the goofing around I usually get to take part of with my family.

My sister, Kara, and I being complete goofballs with the monstrous hair.

And despite leaving all these things behind, I know that the life infront of me in Panama will be exciting! I look forward to having a year to serve, a year to really learn about who I am as God's child! I know that God will give me strength to do the work to which he has called me, and he will give me people in Panama who will show me the love that I recieve from my family and friends here on a daily basis. I know that, even when I am homesick, God promises to be with me and with those I know farplaced from me, and that connection in the Spirit is a great comfort!

So as I head out, I look forward to keeping these things close to my heart, look forward to being able to share these special things with others that I meet, and look forward to sharing the most important thing, a thing that cannot be taken from me-my hope in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord! I ask for your prayers as I travel and start this new part of my life!

until later, keeping on plugging...

p.s. the mask turned out great for those of you that are wondering...

The finished product

No comments: