Today was my commissioning at Church. We got to sing my favorite hymn (number 318 oh yeah) and had time to pray as a congregation. Then I lead the last part of my bible study on evangelism, and it was really fun to see some the relationship I had developed in the last month by leading that. It gives me confidence to know that there will be plenty of people who will be supporting me as I head out.
As the time ticks by, I am getting everything ready to go. We had a special dinner tonight at home with family and friends. Each family member gave me a picture or a momento to go with me to Panama, and they will help me when I start to feel homesick. It was also a time to look at old family pictures, tell some embarrassing childhood stories, and pose for some last goofball pictures.
Also, last night was my Panamanian Dessert night at church. We made Bananas con canela (cinnamon bananas, sounds gross but is really tasty) and had Spanish games and phrases, so people of my congregation could get a small taste of what Panamanian culture is like. We had spanish pop music (got to love Jaunes and Buate and Shakira), a prayer table and a learning table, so that people could get resources about my mission work in Panama, mission work in general, Ablaze! and all that. So it was an interactive night!
Speaking of interactive, we played an idiom guessing game last night. Can you guess the Spanish equivalents to these idioms? (Literal Translations are in the parenthesis)
1. Antes que te cases, mira lo que haces (Before you marry, look what you do)
2. No preguntes si la manteca es unta (Dont ask if the butter is grease)
3. Por un pelito de un rana (By the little hair of a frog)
4. Vivito y coleando. (Alive and wagging tail)
Go ahead, make you guesses!
I ask that you pray for me during this last week before I go down to Panama. My packing is actually done (yeah!!!!) and I just now wait for my date to leave. I talked to Marc Cohen, the current missionary in Panama, and it sounds like they have some great things to show me when I get to Panama. All I have to say is that I heard there is a beach involved! With this excitment, I ask for your prayers for patience as I get anxious to leave, safety as I travel and energy as I meet changes next week!
until later, still plugging away...
And heres the idiom answers :
1. Look before you leap
2. Don't beat around the bush
3. It was a close shave
4. Alive and kicking!
Sunday, September 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment