So my apartment is starting to feel more like a home. Since I am not woring 23 hours a day this week, I have been able to spend more time there. It also helps that I now have some essentials, like pots and pans and oh yeah gas for cooking. Beleive me, you can only get so creative with a crockpot, and after a while, you just want to eat instead of planning for the next meal of your life. And a word to the wise...hard-boiling an egg in a crock is just not very entertaining. Unless you are a fan of salmonilla.
I just need to add some of the touches...like piant in some thing other than monotonus white, and give some areas a really good scrubbing. Pictures to come soon...I just havn´t bought batteries for my camara.
Oh yeah, also still missing a bed. There was something cool, remisnicent of my childhoos camping trips about sleeping on an air matress, but now it is just getting old! I have a bed ready for deleivery in a couple days. I am so excited to no longer sleep on the same floor I am realizing needs alot of scrubbing...
Classes are good and I am keeping really busy. I am getting into the swing of working everyday...something that rarely happens at the mission. I am also having alot of time to do some reading, and I just finished My AntonĂa by Willa Cather...a book so beautiful that I actually, get this, missed Nebraska when I read it. Yeah thats scary.
One of the things in the book is that the Best days are the ones that die first..optima dies prima fuget (from Virgel)..the latin equivalent of "time flys when you are having fun", a phrase I have had to teach many times in my Berlitz Experience (we teach it in level 2, 3, and 6!), and one that I am learning about every day. While the latin phrase is more melancholy, and Cather's characters says about those best days that "I wish I could be a little boy again, and that my way could end there", I dont see it as so melancholy. This week marks a year that I have been in Panama. And I cant help to think that these days have each passed away quickly, leaving not much more than photos on my computers and hazy memories of places, peoples, and things that have changed my life. And I cant help but to think of all the other hazy memories I have from other best days. I am fortunate to have had a very blessed life, full of experiences, and full of blessings from God, who has been the provider of my best days. ANd I am not melancholy, wishing for some distant memorie of the past to be my reality, but look forward to more of the best days that are in store. Carpe Diem.
I have a new theme for my blog...
until later
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment