Sunday, April 02, 2006

A tale of two cities


The streets of Colon and the City of Panama. The difference between the living conditions would make it hard to beleive that these cities arent just 50 minutes away from each other.

Yes, I made it through the last blog entry and I am still alive. I have been busy with English Classes and helping friends that were visiting from the states. We got to do alot of touring, and I have some wonderful pictures and stories to share, and I want to thank Dan and Cindy for all there kindness and generosity while they were here in Panama.

But today I want to talk about one of the surprising shocks I had while I was touring. I have spent time in Colon, the second biggest city here in Panama, on the Atlantic end of the Canal. However, this time it really stuck out to me the difference between Panama and Colon. The city of Panama is very modern, very clean and offers a safe place to do the work I do. In fact, it was commented that if you were just dropped in Panama city and had no idea where you were, you would have a hard time figuring out you werent in a city in the States. The same cannot be said about Colon.

I hope that this blog isnt lost, becuase I know that I am not doing my sentiments justice, but just the wierd feeling of "wow this is how most of the world lives" is still shocking. Even after seeing people living in the object poverty of a Guatemalan dump, this poverty still is eye opening.

I live a very priveldged existence and I thank God for that...

keep thinking...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
my name is Simone, I was reading about your mission in Panama- seems very exciting. I would like to write u an e-mail cuz I have a few question, but I have a problem. I can't find anywhere an e-mail add. from u at your homepage.
So is there a possibility to write u???

Mandi Lindner said...

Amen, brother.

by the by...I have no plans for Easter vacay (April 12 - 18) and was actually seriously considering buying myself a ticket to Panama City, Panama to visit some friends I have there (they're missionaries with LCMS). Unfortunately, Uncle Sam didn't give me quite that much back from my taxes, so alas...it's not to be...