Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Welcome back

So, yesterday was a good "Welcome Back" to the United States. One good thing and one not so good thing reflected the somewhat paradoxical opinion I have of being back in the states.

First, it was cold enough that I had to wear a sweater. Now, cold for me is anything below 75, and it was really only 55 in the morning, but that is freezing for me. It was one of those rainy drizzly, cuddle up with a cup of tea kind of days that I havent experienced in almost 4 years. So, thats exactly what I did. Came home, put on some warm pajama pants, curled up with a book (homework, not the most ideal, rainy day reading) and a cup of earl gray. It was wonderful. I know that this whole delight in coldness wont last all that long, since a nebraska winter is upon us and I will be craving anything about 30ยบ, but for now, I will take pleasure in the crisp afternoons of fall.

Second, I recieved the American Community Survey. Its like the pre-census sent out by the Census bureau, and I am "required by law" to fill it out. When I opened the 20 page survey that I hardly have time to fill out, my inner cynic asked, "hum, can't they just tap my phone lines to figure all this out? Wont my library record be illuminating enough for them?" while my good ole American decided to put up with the buracracy of my country and that even though I really dont feel like it, and sometimes wish it weren't so, I am part of the American community.

Not to mention that all these things coincide with my struggle that I feel I am going through about having left Panama. Funny that none of these regrets happened when I had two months off and had time and energy to think them through. Nope. Cultural adjustment hits you when you can least take it. Maybe thats why these two rather frivoulous happeneing stand out as poignant enough to blog about.

So, welcome back. Three months late.

No comments: