Friday, November 16, 2007

A little anger here...

So, this is a little angry bitch session. Be forewarned.

What every happened to genuine Christians? Where have they gone, where were they lost? I know that there are many bible scholars out there that know alot more about this than I do, and I cant say that the bible claims to talk about genuine-ness, but it seems like it would go along with the Christian message: love, honor, integrity, etc.

So why are Christians most often the fakest people around? (Answer to this question in t minues three minutes.)

Heres what set all this off: I received an email from someone I have not heard from in almost a year. This person was a good friend of mine, but when I moved to Panama, communication from their part of the relationship just kind of dropped off. Not to say I didnt try. I wrote for the good whole first year that I was in Panama and got tired of receiving short, disspondent answers, if I got any replies at all. So, me and my "loyalty-ridden" self, just decided that it wasnt worth it. If there is one thing I can't handle its when people aren't loyal to themselves, their friends, their beleifs...etc. So, we havent talked in a while.

I receive this email and think, wow..maybe something new. No. It was an email about warning people about a movie that is coming out (The Golden Compass) that is about "killing God" and even worse, was written by an atheist. OMG! Too much to handle. My faith cant take the fact that in this world there might be movies going against Christianity, and that in fact, atheists might be successful and have creative imaginations. Heaven forbid. Oh dear God in Heaven: How can you exist if there are successful muslims and even atheists. (If you cant tell, this is just dripping with sarcasm)

Thats not really why I got mad. I got mad becuase after not talking to me for almost two years about anything personal or anything that is going on our lives, you email me when something infringes upon your conservative beleifs and you are so insecure about what you believe that then you have the nerve to email me, fooling yourself into thinking that you are strong in your faith because you have stood up for a cuase.

How is this genuine at all? Is this friend really worried about me falling into the temptation of watching a movie that might go against the beleifs we have been taught? I doubt it. Why would they personally worry about something petty like what movies I watch when they haven't seemed to care about the major developments I have gone through since they decided that our friendship wasnt worth the trouble of writing a coherent email. And would they really have felt it necessary to warn me if they had been in touch and learned that, during the radio-silence of our relationship for the past year, I have become and adult and know how to think on my own? Hardly.

But like I said, its not genuine, becuase they are not really worried about the movie's affect on me. They are worried about how something like this is defiant of all the kitsch they have come to build their life upon. How this is "spit in the eye of smiling brotherhood". How their kitsch dictates to them that Christianity is about being happy and standing up together against the evil of the world, and how any crap or shit that happens in daily life must mean some sort of lack of faith or trust. This kitsch that Evangelical America has proclaimed as absloute truth in this current movement of zealotry is by no means true. By no means genuine.

What happened to genuine Christians? I know very few. Few who are not fully consumed with living thier kitsch-filled existance that they cant step out of their bubble and see the "gaggle of people who are hurting" as one friend puts it (a single divorcee who might just actually the greatest theologian of our times ;) ). In fact it is those people I know as Christians who dont seem to wear it on their sleeves that seem to be the most "genuine". But they are not genuine, because the dont fit the mold American Evangelical Kitsch has liad out for them to fall into.

When did a warning become more of a Christian message than a simple, "hello how are you, tell me what happened today". When did our theology and our beleifs become more important than the people around us who need us, hate us, love us, treat as as kings and enemies, and sometimes depend on us?

What happened to genuine Christians?

1 comment:

Mandi Lindner said...

I'm sorry you're having a rough time with this friendship, which is obviously very important to you. I had a difficult time in Hungary and also when I came home with my, now former, best friend. We aren't even speaking anymore, which I now realize is a good thing for me, but it was still hard. I know the situations are different, but if you need someone to talk to or unload to, let me know!